Daadi Maa Ke Nuskhe
Daadi Maa Ke Nuskhe
1. Take a tiny piece of jaggery (gur) every hour. Just keep it in the mouth and
slowly suck it till acidity subsides.
2. Drink coconut water 3-4 times a day. Have a plateful of watermelon
(tarbooz) and/or cucumber (kheera) every hour.
3. Harad juice, 1-2 teaspoon daily after meals is very effective in controlling
acidity. The juice can be mixed with an equal amount of amla juice for
better results. To take out amla juice, grate an amla and squeeze the pulp
through a clean muslin cloth to get juice.
4. Chewing a piece of harad is an age old remedy
1. Clean face with cotton wool dipped in rose water 2-3 times a day. Do not
2. Orange peel is very good in the treatment of acne. Grind the peel with
some water to a paste and apply on affected parts. when oranges are not
in season, you may use a powder of dried orange peels. For this, when
oranges are in season, dry orange peels in shade. Powder finely in a
grinder and sift it to make it a very fine powder. Store in an air tight bottle
for future use.
3. Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice in 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon
(dalchini) powder and apply on affected areas frequently. Sift the
cinnamon (dalchini) powder to make it into a very fine powder.
4. Crush a fegarlic (lasan) flakes and apply on the face, once or twice a day.
Swallowing 1-2 flakes of ragarlic regularly helps further.
5. Grind some neem leaves with water to a fine paste. Apply on infected
6. Make a paste of ½ teaspoon each of sandalwood and turmeric (haldi)
powder in a little water and apply.
7. Grind some black cumin seeds (shah jeera) with a little vinegar (sirka) to a
smooth paste. Apply on affected parts. cumin seeds
1. Take ½ teaspoon ground black cumin seeds (shah jeera), twice daily.
Ankle - swelling & pain
2. Mix equal quantities of castor oil and lime juice. Massage the affected
area with this mixture. Also drink 1 cup warm water mixed with lime juice
Appetite loss (anorexia)
1. Mix and powder equal quantities of carom seeds (ajwain), fennel seeds
(saunf), dried ginger powder (sonth), salt and black cumin seeds (shah
jeera).Mix a teaspoon of this powder and a teaspoon of hot ghee to
cooked rice and eat frequently.
2. Take 2 teaspoon of amla juice and mix it with 2 teaspoon honey and 2
teaspoon lime juice. Add 1 cup water and drink on an empty stomach
every morning. To take out juice from fresh amla, remove seeds from fresh
amla and grind the pulp into a fine paste. Tie it in a muslin cloth and
squeeze out the juice. whenever fresh fruits are not available, dried amla
can be used. Soak 1 tablespoon of dried amla at night in a cup of water.
Strain it the next morning. Add 1/8 teaspoon black pepper powder (kali
Mirch) and 2 teaspoon lime juice. Dilute it if necessary with water and
drink every morning regularly on an empty stomach.
3. Take ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch) and 1 tablespoon
jaggery powder (shakkar) mixed together. Kali mirch
4. Cut 1" piece ginger (adrak) into small pieces. Add 1½ cups of water. Boil.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add milk and sugar to taste, and take it frequently
1. Mix 1 teaspoon honey with ½ teaspoon cinnamon (dalchini) powder and
have at night before going to bed.
2. Boil carom seeds (ajwain) in water and inhale the steam.
3. Boil 8-10 flakes of garlic (lasan) in ½ cup of milk. Have this every night.
Gives excellent results in early stages of asthma.
4. Add a handful of drumstick leaves (sahijan) to 1 cup water. Boil. Simmer
on loflame for 3-4 minutes. Cool and strain. Add salt, pepper and lemon
juice to taste. Have every day, once or twice a day.
5. wAn expectorant and a very effective remedy for asthma is prepared by
boiling 6 cloves (laung) in 3 tablespoons of water. Take 1 teaspoon of this
decoction with a little honey, thrice daily.
6. Mix ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing), 2 teaspoon honey, ½ teaspoon juice
from betel leaf (paan ka patta), ½ teaspoon white onion juice. Have it 2-3
times a day. To take out juice from betel leaf, Clove flowers crush to a
paste and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth. For onion juice, grate the
onion and squeeze through a clean muslin cloth.
7. Mix equal amounts of fresh ginger (adrak) juice, honey & pomegranate
(anaar) juice. Take 1 tablespoon, 1-2 times a day.
8. Figs (anjeer) are known to give relief by draining the phlegm (balgam).
Take 3-4 dry figs, wash them well with warm water. Soak overnight in a
cup of water. Eat them first thing in the morning and also drink the water.
Do this for at least 2 months.
Diet for an Asthmatic Person
1. Avoid milk, milk products as they cause phlegm & lead to congestion in
2. Avoid citrus fruits (sour fruits), cold foods, ice-creams & deep fried food.
3. Take plenty of fruits & vegetables with a high fibre content - papaya,
4. Avoid rice at dinner.
5. Early dinner is best suited for these people. It ensures complete digestion
6. 1 teaspoon honey in a glass of hot water before bed time relaxes the
throat by clearing accumulated phlegm in throat.
7. Stay away from dusty places & avoid pets, particularly dogs. water
Therapy for Asthmatic Persons This is a golden, sure shot remedy to cure
people who have asthma due to lot of phlegm collection. My sister-inlahad very severe asthma and got cured with it - one Hakim had told her
to do this. (Harveen) First thing in the morning, heat 3-4 glasses of water
to which 2-3 teaspoon salt (white rock salt) has been added. Make as
warm as you can drink. Sit on your haunches (hips) with heels on the floor.
Press your navel with your thumb/finger and drink this water. Drink as
much as you can - so much that it causes vomiting. Vomit out. If vomiting
is not caused, poke your finger in your throat and vomit out. Do this every
morning on an empty stomach for 1-2 months. Your asthma will surely get
1. Rub some ginger paste on the affected area. Apply oil of eucalyptus on it.
1. CheChew some fennel seeds (saunf) frequently.
2. Chew a piece of cinnamon (dalchini) put in a betel leaf (paan ka patta).
2. Boil some cinnamon (dalchini) in a cup of water. Store it in a clean bottle in
your bathroom. Use it as a mouthwash frequently.
3. Parsley leaves are rich in chlorophyll, nature's own deodoriser. Chew
some leaves regularly and your breath will remain fresh. Alternatively, you
can chew some cardamom seeds to sweeten your breath.
1. Use neem twigs as tooth paste.
2. Powder the dried mint (pudina) leaves. Use as toothpowder.
1. Boil 1 cup mustard oil (sarson ka tel) with 4 tablespoon henna (mehendi)
leaves. Filter and bottle. Massage on the bald patches regularly.
2. Grind the remains of tobacco smoked in a hookah and add to boiling
mustard oil. Cool and store. Massage on the bald patches regularly.
3. Rub on the scalp 1 teaspoon oil in which raw mangoes have been
preserved for over one year. Repeat this treatment frequently.
4. Grind 1 tablespoon liquorice root pieces (mulathi) in 1 cup milk with ¼
teaspoon saffron (kesar). Apply this paste on bald patches at bedtime
5. Grind fenugreek seeds (methi dana), with water and apply on the head.
Leave for at least 40 minutes before washing. Do it every morning for a
month. Bed sores w Apply honey on the length and breadth of a banana
leaf and lie on it for a few hours. Ensure its contact with the affected parts.
1. Mix 1 teaspoon lime juice in 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (dalchini)
powder and apply on affected areas frequently.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon each turmeric (haldi) powder and juice of fresh coriander
(dhania) leaves and apply daily as a face pack before going to sleep.
1. Boil 2 figs (anjeer) in 1 cup of water. Drink daily for a month
1. Mix 1 teaspoon camphor (kapoor) in ½ cup slightly warmed coconut oil
and apply on the chest.
2. Boil 2 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf) in 1 cup water till it is reduced to
half. Filter. Take 1 tablespoon every morning and evening for a few days.
3. Boil 3 tablespoon powdered nutmeg (jaiphal) in 1 cup sesame oil (til ka
tel). Cool and apply on affected parts.
1. Slightly roast a big onion on a naked flame. Mash it and mix in teaspoon
each turmeric powder and ghee. Apply and tie a bandage.
2. Mash the garlic (lasan) cloves and apply externally.
3. Ground neem leaves into a paste and apply on affected parts.
4. Apply a paste of ginger (adrak) powder and turmeric (haldi) (1:1) on boils.
5. Grind some black cumin (kala jeera) seeds in a little water and apply the
paste on the affected areas.
6. Heat black pepper powder in ½ teaspoon ghee until charred. Use this as
7. Take fenugreek leaf (methi patta) paste, heat it and when lukewarm, apply
on the affected parts of the body.
8. Soak bread in warm milk and sandwich the mixture in-between the folds of
a clean cotton cloth. Apply this poultice to the boil and hold in place with a
cotton bandage. This draws the dirt to the surface of the skin and
simultaneously bursts the boil.
1. Boil 3 tablespoon powdered nutmeg (jaiphal) in 1 cup sesame oil (til ka
tel). Cool and apply on affected parts. Back
Cataract, early stages
1. Mix 1 teaspoon rose water (gulab jal) with 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice. Add
10 drops of this to the eyes.
1. Add to ½ litre of boiling water, 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) powder
along with 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi) powder. Cool. Take 1 tablespoon of
this mixture along with 1 teaspoon honey. Back
Chest congestion causing Breathing problem
1. Grind ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds (sarson) to a smooth paste. Mix with
honey and eat.
2. Mix equal quantities of mustard powder (sarson) and rice flour. Add some
water and boil until it reaches a paste-like consistency. Spread on a
handkerchief and foment the chest and neck when bearably hot.
Chickenpox, early stage
1. Include figs (anjeer) in your diet every day. Children irritability
2. Rub a nutmeg (jaiphal) lightly against a smooth grinding stone in milk and
feed children who cry out at night without any apparent reasons
1. Instead of your regular hot tea or coffee, have a glass of hot water mixed
with honey and lemon. Put a teaspoon of honey, lemon juice and a little
grated ginger in a glass and add hot water. Stir and drink. Back
1. Finely dice an onion and mix it with 1 cup buttermilk along with ¼
teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch) powder and drink.
2. Regularly intake garlic (lasan) cloves for a few days.
3. Regularly intake coriander (dhania) decoction made by boiling 2 teaspoon
dry seed powder in 1 cup water. (Milk and sugar can be added to improve
its taste. This could be a welcome substitute for tea or coffee.)
1. A lemon a day keeps the cold away. For a bad cold, the juice of two
lemons in ½ a litre (2½ cups) of boiling water sweetened with honey, taken
at bed time, is a very effective remedy.
2. Have ginger (adrak) tea.
3. Cut ginger (adrak) into 1" _ 1½" pieces and boil with a cup of water. Give
8-10 boils. Strain, sweeten with ½ teaspoon sugar and drink hot.
4. A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and tied up in a muslin
cloth can be used for inhalation to relieve congestion/blocked nose.
5. A similar small bundle placed near the pillow of sleeping children relieves
6. A teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) is added to 1 glass of boiling water.
Strain and simmer for a few minutes. Let it cool. Drink it 1-2 times a day. If
sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger (adrak) to
the boiling water.
7. Six pepper corns (saboot kali mirch) finely ground and mixed with a glass
of warm water, sweetened with 5-6 batasha (a variation of sugar candy)
can be taken for a few nights.
8. In the case of the acute cold in the head, boil 1 tablespoon full pepper
powder in a cup of milk along with a pinch of turmeric (haldi) and have
once daily for at least 3 days. cold with phlegm (balgam) and slight cough.
9. Take 8-10 tulsi leaves and wash well. To 1 cup of water, add these tulsi
leaves, 1-2 cloves of garlic (lasan), ½" piece ginger, crushed and 4-5
peppercorns (saboot kali mirch). Boil the water and keep simmering on fire
till the quantity is reduced to ¼ cup. Cool. Strain. Add 1 teaspoon honey.
Drink this every morning.
Constipation for adults
1. 'A healthy stomach is a healthy body'. Many diseases have their roots in
the digestive system. Constipation is a very common problem affecting a
lot of people. Wrong eating habits, sedentary lifestyle & sluggish intestines
are the main reasons. If the stomach is not cleared well, it leads to a lot of
problems such as headaches, gas etc. However, use of laxatives should
be discouraged as it is habit forming and also harmful in the long run.
Here are some tips to relieve you of your problem. (It will take some time
but be persistent and you will surely benefit)
2. Take a hot glass of water with 1 teaspoon honey and juice of ½ a lemon
first thing in the morning.
3. Drink one litre of water first thing in the morning.
4. Soak 6-8 dates (khajoor) in a cup of water at night. Churn in the mixer in
the morning & drink first thing in the morning.
5. Consume approx. 250-300 gms fresh grapes (angoor) every day. When
not in season, soak 12-15 raisins (kishmish) in water and have them.
Raisins should be soaked for 24-48 hours and eaten early in the morning.
The water in which they are soaked should also be drunk.
6. Simply eat a few liquorice (mulathi) sticks. One of its many properties is
that it is a natural laxative.
Constipation for small children
1. Soak 6-8 raisins (kishmish) in hot water (depending on the age). When
cool, crush well and strain. When given routinely even to little infants, it
helps to regulate bowel movement (however care should be taken - so as
not to give too much otherwise the child will get loose motions.)
2. Consumption of 6-8 apricots (khurmani) a day or 2-3 cucumbers (kheera)
a day or 1-2 bananas a day is also very useful.
3. Bulk forming vegetables like carrots, radish, spinach, cabbage or
roughage creating things should be consumed. Instead of juice always opt
for eating the fruit.
4. Whole wheat flour should be used and processed foods (maida, cheese,
confectionery) should be avoided.
5. Taking 2-3 teaspoon of isabgol in milk or warm water either first thing in
the morning or at bed time is very beneficial.
6. Mix ½ teaspoon honey to ½ - 1 cup warm water and have it 2-3 times a
1. Mix equal amounts of honey and ginger (adrak) juice. For better results
warm the mixture a little & then have it. Have 1 teaspoon, 2-3-4 times a
2. Three pepper corns (saboot kali mirch) sucked with a pinch of black cumin
(shah jeera) and a pinch of salt gives relief.
3. Mix 1 teaspoon pepper powder with 4 teaspoon gur (jaggery). Make small
balls. Suck 3-4 balls/tablets during the day.
4. Mix equal amounts of pepper powder and sugar candy (mishri) by weight.
Mix enough pure ghee to form small balls. Suck one ball/tablet 3-4 times a
day. Avoid - curd, bananas, ice, rice fried and cold foods.
5. 1 teaspoon of basil (tulsi) leaves juice 2-3 times a day for children. Tulsi
leaves can be crushed to a paste and the paste squeezed through a clean
muslin cloth to get juice.
6. Mix a pinch of turmeric (haldi) with warm 1 cup milk and have at night.
1. Nearly 250 gms of sweet apples should be taken daily for a week to obtain
2. A glass of warm water with juice of 1 lime and 1-2 teaspoon of honey is
very good for cough.
3. Mix 8-10 tablespoon of coconut milk with 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
(khuskhus) and 1 tablespoon pure honey. Take every night before going to
Cough with Phlegm (balgam)
1. Mix equal amounts of onion juice & honey. Have 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a
day. This is a preventive medicine against cold in winter.
2. Chew a clove (laung) with a pinch of salt to ease expectoration and relieve
irritation in throat. Back
1. Apply clove oil (laung ka tel) on the affected parts
1. Use raw onion juice as ear drops.
2. Put two drops of lukewarm neem oil inside the ear. Back
1. Add ¼ teaspoon salt, 3 teaspoon brown sugar or ordinary sugar and 2
teaspoon lime juice to 1 cup of water, mix well and drink. Back
1. Soak 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana) in water overnight. In
the morning grind into a fine paste. Apply all over scalp and leave for ½ an
hour. Wash with Shikakai or mild shampoo.
2. Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and
filtering use for rinsing hair Dehydration due to diarrhoea Soak half a
nutmeg (jaiphal) in 2 cups water for over 2-3 hours. Take 1 teaspoon of
this infusion and mix in 1 cup fresh coconut water.
3. Drink twice or thrice a day.
Delivery of babies
1. Mix 3 teaspoon lime juice, ¼ teaspoon powdered black pepper and 1
teaspoon honey in 1 cup water. Drink for 3 months.
1. Boil ¼ teaspoon powdered cardamom (chhoti illaichi) seeds in thin tea
water and drink.
2. Mix 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (jaiphal) powder with 1 tablespoon freshly
extracted amla juice. Take 3 times a day.
1. For diabetes, diet restriction & light exercise like walking is a must as this
controls the sugar level. Grape fruit is a splendid thing in the diet of a
diabetic. Have 3 fruits at a time, 3 times daily.
2. A tablespoon of amla juice mixed with a cup of fresh bitter gourd (karela )
juice and taken daily for 2 months will reduce blood sugar.
3. Take dry tender leaves of the mango tree in the shade. Powder and
preserve them. Half a teaspoon of this powder twice a day in the morning
and evening proves beneficial. 3-4 teaspoons juice of bitter gourd (karela),
taken every morning on an empty stomach gives good results.
4. Coarsely powder fenugreek seeds (methi dana) and have 1-2 teaspoon in
the morning everyday. (Vary dosage according to individual tolerance
5. Eating 10 fresh fully grown curry leaves (kari patta) every morning for 3
months is said to prevent diabetes due to heredity factors. Soak 2
teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana) in 1 cup water at night. Drink this
water first thing in the morning and preferably eat the seeds too.
6. Chew 8-10 basil (tulsi) leaves in the morning.
Guidelines of a Diabetics Diet
1. Eat plenty of vegetables like lettuce (salaad patta), tomato and fruits. Use
the following fruits and vegetables sparingly and with caution: banana,
seedless grapes (angoor), cheeku, leechi, custard apple (sharifa), dry
fruits, mango, raisins (kishmish), potatoes, jackfruit (kathal), carrots
(gajar), peas (mattar), beans, sweet potato (shakarkandi), beetroot
2. Foods rich in fibre should be preferred. Daily intake of calories should be
restricted.Use proteins moderately.
3. Milk & nuts intake to be restricted to the minimum whereas have plenty of
curds and buttermilk (chhach).
4. Avoid all refined foods & sweets.
5. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
1. Combine 1 teaspoon each powdered ginger (adrak), powdered cumin
(jeera) and powdered cinnamon (dalchini) with honey and make into a
thick paste. Take 1 teaspoon thrice daily.
2. Boil 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) in a glass of water. Add to this 1
teaspoon fresh juice of coriander leaves (dhania) and a pinch of salt. Drink
twice daily after meals for 2-3 days.
3. Mash 1 ripe banana along with a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon tamarind
pulp (imli ka guda). Take twice a day.
4. Drinking a strong cup of unsweetened black tea is very effective for
stopping diarrhoea. Peel an apple and shred it. Keep the shredded pieces